Friday, July 22, 2011

Press Play> Vol.9 Russell Broom, Guitarist, Producer

guitar player at the Jann Arden concert
In the mid 90s I was living in Windsor, Ontario. They announced Jann Arden from my hometown of Calgary was coming to town for a concert. My friends from home had been telling me about her and her new single Insensitive was getting to be a hit. That show in Windsor was poorly attended because Detroit media dominates which makes it tough for Canadian stars to get noticed. I will quickly point out that the next time Arden came to town her Windsor show sold out faster than any of the others on the tour and they added a second show.
 
I dragged my friends to see "the girl singer from my hometown with the voice." Of course we were extremely impressed with her humour, her songs, that voice. We were also raving about Arden's killer band. We all agreed the stand-out was her guitar player. He was simply amazing.

 
I have since found out that Russell Broom is much more than a killer guitar player. When you visit his website you'll see evidence of his musical experience, talent and knowledge.

He describes himself as "a music guy, I produce, engineer and mix records, write songs and play guitar. I’ve also performed, written, and or engineered a whole bunch of music on film and TV."

His list of projects includes Ms. Arden and an eclectic mix of terrific musicians including Chixdiggit, Dojo Workhorse, SheDaisy, Terri Clark, Sierra Noble, Emm Gryner, Martin Page, Robbie Williams, Doc Walker, Tariq, Clayton Bellamy, Jason McCoy, Josh Groban, Ron Sexsmith, Sam Roberts and many more. You can get a detailed look at the projects he has worked on and the stack of awards he has won on the "credits" page on his website.

I knew I would get some interesting and eclectic answers from Russell when I asked him to Press Play > and he didn't disappoint.

WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?

Music I'm working on for a client! I am just wrapping up projects for Lynzie Kent, Chris Austman, CMT and a bunch of others. 

As far as listening for enjoyment, the new Bon Iver record - Bon Iver, records by Laura Marling, William Fitzsimmons, I Blame Coco and Cream - BBC sessions.

WHAT IS THE RECORD (OKAY MAYBE TWO OR THREE OR FOUR) THAT INFLUENCED YOUR MUSIC THE MOST?

These are some records that inspire me, that I have no interest in copying but simply enjoying and being enveloped by.

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsies

Emmylou Harris - Wrecking Ball

U2 - Unforgettable Fire


Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden

Talk Talk - Colour of Spring

Joy Division - Permanent.



WHAT WAS THE FIRST RECORD YOU BOUGHT?

Elvis Costello - Armed Forces --- I heard the song Oliver's Army when I was 8 or 9 and loved it, not really understanding the political content, but I loved the melody and the song itself. Still one of my favourite records.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE COVER TUNE (SONG AND BY WHOM)? 
Goodbye by Steve Earle, covered by Emmylou Harris --- A heartbreaking song, a heartbreaking version of a heartbreaking song. Gosh, nuff said!



WHAT IS THE RECORD THAT YOU COUNT AS A GUILTY PLEASURE?

Madonna - Music --- I like the production on the Madonna's Music record. I dig the energy of it. She's not the most musical person in the world, but I respect what she draws out of producers a lot. And any of John Mayer's records --- John Mayer writes some great songs, and I'll listen to Steve Jordan and Pin Palladino any day of the week. As a guitar player I'm supposed to dismiss him. I ain't gonna. He's great at what he does.
 
CURRENTLY WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE RECORD TO LISTEN TO ON THE ROAD?

Amos Lee - Mission Bell  --- I mixed a live show of his for CMT and fell in love with the songs, especially Violin. Great travelling music and  Arvo Part - Sanctuary --- No matter what is going on around me, this record can pull me out of whatever environment I am in and totally captivate me. I love his work and this record is a great representation of the beauty and simplicity in what he does. As a guitar player, that would be my ultimate goal, to play simply and beautifully.




WHICH OF YOUR ALBUMS (SOLO OR A BAND) IS YOUR FAVOURITE?

All of them dammit! Like having to choose your favorite child - ha ha. Each one has a large part of my sanity, heart, soul, and love in them. They each draw out different things, and I learn so much on every project.

WHAT'S THE RECORD YOU BOUGHT THAT YOU WISH YOU DIDN'T?

Too many to list!


Follow Russell Broom on twitter @russellbroom

Find Russell on My Space here

Hire Russell to work on your record here


No comments:

Post a Comment